This very old piece of yew was given to me, I planed one side up for the handle of my latest jointer and it looked beautiful. But to my horror when I sawned it down to the required thickness, again by hand and boy was it hard, there was a dirty big dead knot.
I cut out a cardboard shape for the handle and positioned it over the dead knot, hoping I could get away with it, cutting most of the knot away where your fingers go.
After much maneuvering of the cardboard pattern I decided to give it a go, even though it might be a waste of time.
The finished handle with an added bit on the bottom which will be hidden when it is in the plane. I am very pleased that I was able to use it.
The completed plane.